I listed these quotes in my weekly, but without their authors. Today I have added the authors. I ignored who I selected, but only in the content of the quote. They have the points I wanted to make about the importance of learning and how we can sometimes forget.
- Passion and curiosity are the essential keys to teaching and learning. Our teachers are passionate about teaching daily, and our students come with curiosity they need to have sparked.
- In our daily goals, we promote the importance of knowledge, but the need to open wider the imagination of the children as they create and innovate is the future of our world.
- Providing opportunities for students not just to repeat facts they have learned but to open their minds to searching and seeking as they think in growth mindsets.
- Teachers are moving away from all traditional direct instruction to more facilitated delivery with collaboration within groups and students taking a more active involvement in learning. Students understand the common standards of the expectations needed for their grade level as they set goals and help in planning what they need help with to accomplish mastery. Connecting students, homes, schools, and communities to work to support students is what is needed.
- Reading is the best way to gain so many skills. As a teacher, I used to issue a passport we would make in class as students could come to receive a stamp for the places they traveled in reading. Choice is an essential factor in helping students build on their learning as they seek out what is of interest to them. We also need to guide them to push them beyond to grow, but never to the level of frustration or mandating. Talking about what they are reading, asking them to review the books so other kids can decide if it is a book for them and so many different ways we can spark excitement in reading. Younger readers just getting started love books with a rhythm like Dr. Seuss or books like Brown, Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?
- Learning is leadership. The learner works to be actively involved in their learning environment and learning, just as leaders work to find ways to be active in their environments and productivity. It is continual learning and knowledge that keeps leaders growing and in their positions to lead. It is the learner who takes on the leadership of their learning that pushes them further to accomplish more than they thought they could. Children are leaders who grow to become more than leaders; they become leaders of innovation, change, champions of science, and much more. We know, “Education is something we do with children, not to them.”
- Education is a gift we can unwrap each day. It is not a returnable item and is as big as you want it to be. Moments in each day provide opportunities for questions and answers to be found. Many years ago, not everyone was able to attend school. My parents were part of that group. However, they pushed for education to be part of the lives of their children and grandchildren. Education was important.
- Education cannot be taken away from you; once you know, it is yours to keep. What you do with it is up to you! My parent taught me always to work hard and count on making my way. I lead my life in that way and teach those same values. There are no excuses in life. No matter what you are facing, brush it off, stand up and get back in the game of life. God knows all of the struggles I have had, the times when there seemed to be no hope, and then the times when I stood back up to try again. You can, you will, and you can accomplish more than you think.